Thursday, April 16, 2009

deck the halls

I just tinkered around and figured out how to play "Deck the Halls"! It's probably lesson one for every children's beginner's piano book, but so what? I learned it in a matter of moments.

To expand on last night, though, I'm proud to say that I can at least identify where major chords are and play them isolated. If nothing else I'll practice them until my arms break tonight. I think it's a rudimentary element that I have to know before I proceed and want to achieve mastery of these basic song parts. Once I finish my coffee I'm going to head to Sam Ash/ Guitar Center and ask around for tips. I'll be previewing devices to purchase once I'm ready for an upgrade and books I'll want to pick up once I become adept.

After watching the first 40 minutes or so of The Doors today (for the 700th time) I realized more than ever that I've strayed from true self. My loves, my passions include poetry, art and music, spirituality and experience embodied by Jim Morrisson. Watching the film in this pressure free context of a man on sporing break, and yet disciplined enough to stop the movie to actively pursue a passion is a truer reflection of myself than I've seen in a mirror in a long time. Than I've seen in a river.

The great river swirls at my feet,
it's estuaries pour unto my knees
and all the fish that fight upstream
I'm blinded by their sun-kissed sheen
Against their flesh I'm but a ghost
Intrepid, intruding on a private coast
watching as profane as theft or rape
thus drowned amid this shallow wake
devour my flesh and I become
the million fish that fight among
the stones that bed the river's side
and so I swim on through myself
cast upon my glassy eyes
is the billion year old ocean sky
a mottled mat of blues and whites
and the myriad colors that flesh the night

the river is long

No comments: