Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Purpose

Countless projects started and even fewer finished.
I really would hate for this to be the quote on my grave marker. I intend, then, for this blog to trace my progress in my most recent project- learning to play the keyboard.

Three weeks ago I sat at Paul's keyboard and banged away for a while. He taught me how to play a chord and it's minor variation, and so I had fun with the keys. Soon thereafter, Paul joined me and jammed along on the drums, his guitar and then his harmonica. I became possessed by the very spirit of music, jumping back and forth and alternating rhythms to suit the mood. It was adrenaline combined with the supernatural creative forces that swirl about us.

After the jam session I picked up a beginners book and learned to play Fres-re-jaques. It took me a few tries, but I nailed it with relative ease. Soon thereafter, upon Paul's behest, I added chords to it and improvised by playing the notes two times each, in rapid succession so as to enhance the sound and audible speed. Paul once again joined me on both harmonica and guitar.

We played for an eventual total of 2 hours. Those 2 hours mark the beginning of my adventure...

No comments: